Thursday morning’s fatal fire was likely caused by an errant cigarette. Siuslaw Valley Fire Marshall Sean Barrett said the blaze that claimed the life of 73-year old Cassandra Hinkle started on an outside deck where she was known to sit and smoke. In fact, Hinkle’s caregiver said the last time she saw her charge was at two o’clock in the afternoon prior to the fire, sitting on a bench having a cigarette. Barrett said the fire spread and Hinkle’s cause of death, determined to be from smoke inhalation, are consistent with the likely cause.
More in Florence Oregon News:
- Secretary of State Health Update; OPB Holding Fundraiser for Florence Food Share; Hospice Team Looking For Volunteers; Email Threats Close to Home December 14, 2018
- New Driver License Design; Saturday Deadline for Health Insurance; Christmas Wrapping at Roby’s; A Waste Free Holiday? December 13, 2018
- School Board Considers Policy Changes; City Manager Gets High Marks; Holiday Travel Helped With Lower Fuel Prices; Santa to Make Appearance at Justice Center December 12, 2018